Washing Powder

The ins and outs and around's and about....

I have done a lot of research into this topic as I believe that what we breathe in is super important when we are dealing with asthmatics or people with restricted airways. In my case, three out of four of my kids have (diagnosed) asthma. Furthermore, I believe, as a parent it is my responsibility to do as much as I can to assist them with this long term chronic condition.

Hence, the beginning of the blog and the decision to change our lifestyles, educate ourselves and #makinggoodchoices.

So... washing powder. 

Firstly, I am a LOVER of nice soft fluffy things that smell nice and fresh. I am an avid clothes washer, wash our sheets weekly and towels every 3-4 days. I apologise to the environment for what some people regard as excessive washing, but when you have kids with asthma I truly believe keeping everything as free from dust as possible is going to give them a head start in life and breath (literally)...

So.... I have discovered that washing powders and liquids are FULL of toxins and rubbish. I read this great blog which gives a great guide to 7 Toxic Chemicals in Laundry Detergent. I have discovered that surfactants are not a Year 8 slang word for "Get Lost" and that Lipases have nothing to do with the size of your butt...

Surfactants are actually at the heart of laundry detergents' ability to clean fabrics. Surfactant gets its name from the combination of words "surface-active-agents" and their unique chemical structure which allows them to work with two different types of surfaces, such as oil and water. So, when a gungee (that's a technical word for super dirty and YUK) piece of clothing goes in the wash with surfactants the molecules attach themselves to the grime at one end and the water at the other. The agitation of the wash causes the molecules to form tiny spheres which are washed away in the water, along with the gungeeness. 

So, surfactants are necessary. Other ingredients such as bleach and other enzymes assist in the cleaning process, and I will not bore you any longer with this poor excuse for a science lesson. BUT, these are not the ingredients we are concerned with.

As I have mentioned before, for people with asthma, allergies and restricted airways its all the excess toxins and chemicals that play havoc. Perfumes, colourings and excess additives that bulk out the powder (increasing profits) are what we need to avoid. Look for a product that is concentrated (so less is more), that utilisers protease as deep cleaning enzymes and rapidly biodegradable surfactants (that way they break down quicker and exit the washing item quicker - less residual stuff to breathe in).

Additionally, if you want to consider your environmental footprint look for re-cyclable packaging and ethically sustained products.

I am currently testing this product and will give a thorough review from my perspective once I have run a decent wash cycle with it. If you want to give it a whirl also follow this link to get a $10 discount off your first order.



Please remember, this is all my opinion. 

I am not a scientist or professional washing powder expert. 

Make your own informed choices and decisions. 

I am just trying to share mine with you.

Melsy

Comments

Popular Posts